• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Beef and Eggplant


For much of my life, this beautiful purple fruit has alluded me. Not because I did not know how to prepare it, or did not know what it was, but because I had an allergy to this shiny gem.

Both my Mother and I shared the allergy although we both had very separate reactions to it. However, over time I have found that my allergies have subsided... thankfully because I have been able to discover that this fruit, which shines like a gem at the produce section of the grocery store, to shining brightly on vegetable stalls at the market, is absolutely delicious!

I did not learn that my allergy had subsided until the end of last year when my neighbours presented me with two beautiful home-grown eggplants. Not wanting to be rude, I accepted them graciously and then decided what to do with them. After cooking these delectable goodies, I decided to try a bite and "see" what would happen. I mean, they looked way too good to not try it out... and I could deal with the "fizzies" in my mouth, swollen tongue, and other reactions to try just one bite. So I did...

And...

Nothing!

No reaction, nothing.

So I had another bite, and another, until I ate my full portion.

From that time on, I had no more reactions to eggplant, and I make them often and enjoy them thoroughly.


Health Benefits of Eggplant

Eggplant a purple, glossy fruit that is cooked as a vegetable belong to the nightshade family which also includes tomatoes, sweet peppers and potatoes. They grow in a manner much like tomatoes, hanging from the vines of a plant that grows several feet in height. There are many varieties of eggplant, but the Black Magic variety which usually found in the U.S market was found to have three times the amount of antioxidant phenolics as compared to the other varieties. In addition the phenolic acid in eggplant is also responsible for the eggplants slight bitter taste and the browning the results when the flesh is cut. Eggplants are available in markets throughout the year, but they are at their very best from August through October when they are in season.

Phytonutrients in Eggplant:

* Anthocyanin such as nasurin
* Phenolic compounds such as; caffeic and chlorogenic acid.
* Flavonoids compound such as; nasunin.

Nutritive Values: Per 100 gm.

* Vitamin A: 30 I.U.
* Vitamin B: Thiamine .04 mg.
* Riboflavin: .05 mg.
* Niacin: .65 mg.
* Vitamin C: 5 mg.
* Calcium: 15 mg.
* Iron: .4 mg.
* Phosphorus: 37 mg.
* Potassium: 390 mg.
* Fat: .2 gm.
* Carbohydrates: 5.5 gm.
* Protein: 1.1 gm.
* Calories: 24

Health Benefits:

* The skin of eggplant contains a phytonutrient that helps protect the lipids (fats) in brain cell membranes.
* Eggplant is a rich source of phenolic compounds an antioxidant that can help prevent cancer, cholesterol build-up and bacterial and viral infection.
* Eggplant has a high fiber content which can prevent constipation, hemorrhoids, and colitis.
* Eggplant is naturally low in calories and has no fat. A cup has only 38 calories.
* Lowers cholesterol by preventing its absorption in the intestines.
* Eggplant can help in cases of stomach ulcers
* It can help in various nervous conditions.
* Eggplant contains a large amount of water. It is good for balancing diets that are heavy in protein and starches.

Buying Tip: When buying, choose eggplant with a bright and glossy purple color, look for eggplants that are firm, heavy for size, and free of scars. Smaller, slender selections usually have smaller seeds and are more tender. Avoid eggplant with brown or blue streaks, or that are shriveled and flabby.

(Information from: http://hubpages.com/hub/Health-Benefits-of-Eggplant)
















Recipe


1 lb VERY thin sliced beef (or lamb)
1 onion, diced
10 cloves garlic, diced finely
1 eggplant, diced into 1/2"
1 lb cooked spaghetti
3 TBSP Hoi Sin Paste
2 TBSP Oyster Sauce
2 TBSP Light Soy Sauce
1 TBSP Sesame Oil
1 Cup cold water

1. Fry the beef until well cooked, add the onion and garlic. Cook until onion is glassy.
2. Add eggplant and cook until eggplant is cooked, add seasoning sauce (mix all sauces and water in a separate bowl together first)
3. Add cooked spaghetti and toss nicely, cover and cook 5 mins.

This is also very tasty and very filling.

You can also add some broccoli, very thin sliced carrots, fresh peas to this. If adding carrots and broccoli, par-cook first and then toss together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment