Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Beef Herb Soup
The next few posts will be recipes from our Chinese New Year feast which I made earlier this year during the Chinese New Year feast.
2 lbs Beef shin
10 pieces Bai Shao (White Peony Root) herb 白芍
1/4 cup Goji berries
2-3 inch peeled and sliced ginger
2 TBSP Light soy sauce
2 tsp Chicken bouillon powder
Salt to taste
1. Wash beef well, trim the fat off it.
2. Put everything (except soy sauce) into the cooking pot and fill with water about ¾ full.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat, cover, and simmer for about 1-1 ½ hours. Check from time to time if there is enough water.
4. When the meat is almost tender, add soy sauce and salt to taste. Continue cooking until meat is tender.
5. Remove meat and set aside. Serve soup hot.
Cold Sliced Beef
Using the beef cooked in the herbs, let cool from the soup and then slice thinly. Lay out nicely on a plate and then lightly pour light soy sauce over top.