• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Shrimp with Tomato Sauce


Since I was a little girl in Hong Kong, my sister used to make this dish, especially at Chinese New Year time. It was my most favourite dish and each Chinese New Year I would always make a special request to her to make this for us.

Now, I continue the tradition and it is a dish that I serve at our Chinese New Year table.

2 lbs Shrimps - best is raw. If using cooked, add at last minute just
to heat through in the sauce
¼ cup Tomato Ketchup
1-inch piece of fresh Ginger, peeled
3 cloves Garlic
1 TBSP Light Soy Sauce (or just salt)
1 tsp White Pepper (optional)
2 spring onion, sliced
1/8 cup Coriander, chopped


1. Cook the shrimp until turned pink, add garlic and ginger*. Cook until you can smell the fragrance of the garlic
2. Add light soy sauce and ketchup (and pepper if using), cook until well incorporated and you smell the fragrance (about 1 minute)
3. Add coriander and green onions, stir a couple of times, and immediately take off the heat.

*To get a really good flavour from the garlic and ginger, blend them together in a blender, food processor, or Magic Bullet with about 2TBSP of regular cooking oil until you have a paste.

NB This is good to use in a very hot wok so that the shrimps will cook very fast. As soon as they turn a little pink, is when you start adding things. This will cook very fast.

You can de-vein the shrimp, but best if you leave the shell and heads on, gives more flavour, and if you like to suck the head, this will give nice flavour for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment