• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Moroccon-Style Turkey

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in Canada and since I have moved down here to the States, I have always tried to do something to observe it, even if making a full turkey and trimmings has not been first on my mind.

Always thinking of new ways to make turkey, I experimented with a new way tonight, and it was amazing! Not to mention fast; a 12.5lb turkey cooked to perfection in 1 1/2 hours! NO KIDDING!

Wanting to do something different, and align with a craving I'd had recently, I defrosted the turkey yesterday - did it the "quick method" way, and basically what that is is putting the turkey (bag and all) into a sink filled with cold water. Then every 1/2 hr (per pound) you change the water and add more cold water. Today, it was perfectly defrosted and ready to make.

So lately, I have been really on a "Middle Eastern" flavours kick, so I thought I'd take the idea of the tagine and apply it here. Now, as I've already mentioned in previous posts that required the Moroccan tagine, I don't have one, so I improvise. I use a huge aluminuium pot which, when filled, I take a really long piece of aluminium foil, fold it over to create a long "snake" and then wrap it around the edge of where the pot and the lid meet and "seal" it up. You can also do this in a crock pot or a Dutch oven. 

Ingredients:

Spice Rub:

2 TBSP Ras el Hanout (I make my own ingredients followed)
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    3/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp ground white pepper
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp ground all spice
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground clove

    - Mix all together in a jar and can be stored for up to 1 month

1 TBSP ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cardamon seeds
1 TBSP garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sumac

- Mix all together and rub all over the washed and dried bird


2 large onions, sliced
5 cloved garlic, diced
5-6 carrots, peeled and cut into 3" long - 1/4 sticks
1/4 cup almonds, ground to a paste (optional)
2 cups raisins (or golden sultanas)
1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 TBSP Olive oil
1 1/4 cup hot water
3 tsp chicken powder
1/2 tsp orange blossom water


Method:

1. Heat the pot you are going to use and add oil, then add the onions and garlic and fry until the onions are soft, then add the raisins and almond paste, fry together until the almond paste "releases" and coats everything. Turn the pot off.

2. Now add your turkey (breast side down) to the pot (make sure the pot is large enough to hold the entire turkey and to fit the lid on well also. Add the carrots all around the turkey. Add remaining rub spices all over the bird.

3. Mix the chicken powder and orange blossom water together with the 1 1/4 cup hot water and stir until the chicken powder is dissolved, add it around the turkey (try to not get the liquid over the turkey otherwise it'll take all the spices off), then drizzle the 1 TBSP olive oil over the turkey.

Cover and take your long foil "snake" and seal the lid to the pot. Turn on heat to high until you hear it boiling, then turn the heat down to the lowest setting to allow for it to simmer and cook slowly.

The bird I made was 12.5lbs and it took 1 1/2 hrs of slow cooking for it to be cooked through perfectly.


I served this with flavoured rice: 
    

3 cups rice, washed well
Enough water to come up to just below the first digit of my index finger from the top of the rice
3 tsp chicken powder
pinch of salt (to taste)
1/2 tsp orange blossom water
pinch of saffron threads

Mix well together and put on heat.



 I use a rice cooker, but if you don't have a rice cooker, use a heavier weight pot and bring the water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover for about 15-20 minutes. When cooked, turn off heat, place a paper towel over the pot and replace the lid. Leave it to sit for about 10 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment