• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hamburger Shawarma

My husband and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary the other night. Neither of us was feeling up to going out as we were a bit under the weather, and we really just wanted to have a more quiet, at home, celebration. As we had not gone shopping, we did not have too many ingredients in the house, so what to make that would tickle our fancy and be a little "special" but without going overboard? As I looked through the fridge and freezer, I noticed a packet of hamburgers, flour tortillas, cucumbers, and tomatoes. In the cupboard, I had a can of hummus and baba ganoush. My plan was now formulating in my head of something that would be different, but so easy to make and delicious. Not to mention filling.

Lately, I have been on a bit of a Middle Eastern "kick" and while I could have easily fried up the burgers and defrost some hamburger buns, I wanted something "different" and a bit "exotic"; it was, after all our 8th wedding anniversary.

This truly shows the versatility of what you can do with simple ingredients. I decided to totally improvise and make a delicious Middle Eastern meal with what I had on hand. The results were absolutely amazing and I am looking forward to doing it again really soon. It truly is so easy that I recommend it to everyone. You don't need to have a charcoal grill, but if you do, the flavour would be even better. 

Ingredients
4 hamburger patties
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp Middle Eastern 7-Spices powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sumac

1 can Baba Ganoush dip
1 can Hummus dip
6 cloves garlic
1/2 red onion
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1/8 cup Olive Oil

4 Persian cucumbers, diced
4 tomatoes, diced
1/2 head lettuce, shredded

6 flour tortilla shells
1/8 stick of butter, melted

1. Mix together the first seven spices and rub all over the hamburger patties. Let sit and "marinate" for 20-30 minutes. Cook in a 350*F oven for about 20 minutes - or grill on a charcoal burner until cooked through. If cooking in oven, let sit in oven until ready to slice.

2. Using a Magic Bullet blender (or food processor) blend together the cloves of garlic, onion, lemon, and olive oil. Divide mixture in half between the Baba Ganoush and the hummus, stir very well together in each dip.

3. Mix together the vegetables.

4. Make Creamy Garlic Salad Dressing and set aside

5. Slice the hamburger meat on an angle

6. Brush the flour tortilla on both sides, lightly, with butter. Fry each tortilla in a hot, ungreased, frying pan. It will begin to bubble, when it does this, turn it over. It should be golden brown. When both sides are cooked like this, put on a plate and repeat with next tortilla until all are cooked.

You can assemble this as you wish, but I spread a little hummus and Baba Ganoush in the middle of a tortilla shell. Then add a little of the mixed salad. Place the meat over the salad and drizzle the creamy garlic dressing over top of the meat. Fold one side of the tortilla shell up and in, then fold one of the "flaps" in, then roll the shawarma up. Eat immediately!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment