• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Aromatic Beef Patties

Yesterday, my husband and I went to a BBQ put on by our local mosque. When turning up to an event put on by Muslims, one expects that there is going to be some "different" in the taste of the food. When we saw that it was hamburgers and hot dogs, we were, at first a little taken aback but we do love hot dogs and hamburgers on the BBQ, so we actually were really happy.

So my husband brought me my plate that comprised of a perfectly BBQ'd hot dog on a bun, a beef patty (he said there were no more buns, but I actually prefer my hamburgers without the bread), potato salad, lettuce, tomato, onion, and lots of gherkins, and some chips. YUM!

But then, I took a bite of the hamburger and my knees went weak. To think that a group of Muslims (from varying parts of the world) would simply slap a beef patty on to the grill with a bit of salt and pepper on it, would be sacrilegious! This beef patty had been marinated to give it an amazing taste.

As I wrote in a post the other day, lemon infused meat on the BBQ is amazing, and as I bit into the beef patty and the aroma hit my taste buds, my senses came alive with the citrus chili blend that the meat had been marinated in.

Last night, I sought to recreate the delight my taste buds were craving for, but to do it without a BBQ - we are currently "sans BBQ".

I made a delicious paste which I spread on both sides of the beef patty and let it marinate for a short time before popping it into the oven. And I served it with a green salad and homemade Orange and Ginger Salad Dressing (to continue with my citrus theme during Arizona's citrus season), and steamed rice. Oh my heavens, it was a taste-buds delight and sensation. Its really quick to make and if you cook the meat on the BBQ, you'll have an added taste that will delight even further.

Ingredients:
4 beef patties
Juice from 1/4 lemon
3 tsp lime juice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Middle Eastern 7-Spices
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp sriracha chili paste
1/4 tsp sumac (optional)

1. Add all ingredients after "beef patties" together to make a paste.
2. Lay beef patties on a baking sheet and smear the paste on both sides. Pierce the patties with a fork, and set aside to marinate for 20-30 minutes.
3. Heat oven to 350*F (or light BBQ and bring to a high temperature). Place beef patties into the oven and cook for 15 minutes, or BBQ until hamburgers are cooked through.

Serve immediately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment