• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Crockpot Osso Bucco and Risotto

A few years ago, I was at my local Asian supermarket and found some huge osso bucco cuts and tried my first attempt at using this cut of meat. My first attempt was not so successful and the meat was extremely tough.

I had to think about this for a bit. I had never (and still have not really) made a traditional Osso Bucco, but from what I have discovered, it seems that it is a dish that varies from person to person and place to place.

After I got my crockpot, I thought to give my hand to this attempt again. Cooking this cut of meat in the slow cooker (or slowly on the stove) makes it amazing, you do not need to use a knife to cut it, and it literally melts in your mouth.

So, quite often now I will buy this cut of meat and create another meal with it.

On Sunday night, I made another creation which my husband loved so much, he literally inhaled it and did not even have a moment to tell me how much he loved it until it was gone!

So, I figure, if he loved it that much, I would have to share my recipe with you.

Usually, I put a lot more ingredients (veggies) in, but I kept it really light this time and using the cabbage was amazing because it literally dissoled and added to the taste of the juice.

I also served it over a sort of risotto which just married the flavours up perfectly.

I hope you will love this as much as we did!

Happy Cooking, Happy Eating!


Ingredients:

Osso Bucco beef cut pieces
2 medium onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1/4 head of cabbage, diced finely
1 zucchini, quarterd and sliced in bite size piece
1/2 tsp chicken powder
2 TBSP garlic powder
Pepper and salt to taste
1/4 cup water
1 TBSP ketchup

1. Combine everything but the meat together, "dig a hole" and put the beef in (season separately with garlic powder, salt and pepper). Put crockpot on HIGH, and cook for 4 hours.


Risotto

When making the Risotto, you really can not leave it and stir almost constantly.

Ingredients:

2 cups orzo pasta
1 TBSP butter
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp chicken powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3 cups water

1. Melt butter together with oil to prevent the butter from burning. Add the orzo and toss well to cover all pasta with the grease. Add the chicken and garlic powders and mix in well.
2. Add 1st cup of water and stir until all the water evaporates, the risotto will start getting sticky. Add second cup of water and keep stirring until water has evaporated. With the third cup of water, add it a little at a time "feeling" the texture of the risotto. Keep adding water and stirring well until the orzo is cooked through. Then keep stirring until it becomes rather dry; it will be really quite sticky by now so ensure you are stirring well and nothing is getting stuck to the bottom of the pan, which will burn.

Serve with the osso bucco, place a bed of risotto in a large bowl and cover with the meat and vegetable. Ladle the drippings over the dish.


This is a very hearty meal and will serve 2 to 4 people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment