• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Beef and Cabbage with Potato Dumplings

A little while ago, I decided to honour all of my heritage... which is quite a feat when one is Chinese, Turkish, Russian, Azerbaijani, English, German, French, Jewish, Muslim, and Gypsy. But all these parts make up one whole which is ME.

I think the fact that food was such a huge part of my life, and growing up, we ate out most nights of the week; I think that one of the best ways I can honour these different regions of the world which are distinctly ME, is by food and my cooking.

So I create different dishes based on what my stomach tells me, and where I feel directed towards.

Tonight, I honoured my Russian and Germanic roots in my take of an old classic of stuffed cabbage rolls.

I did not feel like taking the time to wrap beef in the cabbage and then roll them up, so created this short cut which worked really well.

I was also going to make Pirogi's but did not have any floured won ton wrappers (a great short cut and something that one should always have in the house for various recipes) and really, time was short and I did not want to make them from scratch, which really is not that difficult or time consuming, but in all honesty, I was feeling kinda lazy and this dinner was meant to be rather fast. So I substituted and made German-style potato dumplings instead. If one really wanted to make pirogi's you can by leaving out the flour in the mix (and add a cup of cottage cheese too) and place a spoonful in a flour won ton wrapper (can be bought in the freezer section of Asian grocery stores), and after boiling, fry in butter until golden brown.




















You can easily find packets of these round wrappers
in the freezer section of your Asian supermarket




Beef and Cabbage with Potato Dumpling Recipe
















2 - 4 cans cooked beef
1 head of cabbage
1 large can of whole tomatoes, sliced
1 can tomato sauce
6 cloves of garlic, sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste


1. In a very large pot, add the "juice" from 2 of the cans of beef
2. Line bottom of the pot with half the cabbage leaves
3. Add the beef (shred the beef out of the can), sliced garlic, sliced tomatoes (and the juice), salt and pepper
4. Top the rest of the cabbage (torn into big pieces) over the meat and tomato mixture, add more salt and pepper and then top with tomato sauce
5. Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to very low and simmer (covered) for about 30 minutes



Potato Dumplings

1 cup instant potatoes
1 cup flour
1 cup fresh parmesan cheese
1 cup hot water
2 stalks green onion, sliced
1 cup milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup extra flour


1. In a bowl, mix together the potatoes, cheese, and green onions, salt and pepper. Add the hot water and mix well.
2. Then add the flour and milk (add the milk a little at a time until well mixed and not wet - you may not need to use the full 1 cup - I used just under)
3. Let sit about five to ten minutes while water is boiling (make sure to add about 2 TBSP of salt to water)
4. Using the extra flour in a separate bowl get hands nice and floury, take one big tablespoon full of dumpling mix and roll between hands into a ball - about the size of a golf balls, drop into boiling water. Make sure that they don't get stuck to the bottom.
5. Boil until the dumplings rise to the top and then cook an extra five minutes. When cooked, using a slotted spoon, take out and put on a plate to drain/dry.



Makes approx 12 dumplings
Serve with beef and cabbage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment