• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Vegetable Casserole & Fried Onions


This past Thanksgiving, I tried Green Bean Casserole for the very first time, and the person who made it did a really awesome job. But at Christmas, I tried it again at our ward Christmas Party, and well... I have to say it was probably one of the worst things I had ever eaten! Sorry to those of you who love this dish, I can't say I do.
So last weekend, I decided to recreate my own version of it, but added corn (and if I had carrots, would have added them also).

While the "canned" flavour of veggies are not really my cuppa tea, in the future, I'd probably try this again with frozen, if not fresh veggies.

The flavour was really great, but I think my favourite part was the fried onions, which I am planning to do again and serve as a side with other things... maybe a thick juicy hamburger.

Vegetable Casserole & Fried Onions


2-3 sweet onions, thinly sliced into rounds
Enough milk to cover sliced onions
1 1/2 cup white flour
1 cup rice flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp chicken powder
Vegetable oil


1. Soak the sliced onion rounds in milk, and prepare the flours with spices - mix well
2. Dredge the onions into the flour
3. Heat the oil until very hot (a little flour will make it sizzle)
4. Add the onions, a few at a time and cook until golden brown - very fast, about 1 minute
5. Drain on a paper bag or kitchen paper to crisp up
6. Set aside


1 can green beans*
1 can sweet corn*
1 can chicken soup (condensed)
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp soy sauce


1. In a bowl, mix the chicken soup and milk together with the soy sauce, add the veggies and 2/3 cup of onions
2. Mix well
3. Cook in a 350*F oven for 25 minutes, until bubbling
4. Mix the veggies well and add the remaining onions on top
5. Cook another 10 minutes until golden brown


* If you don't want to use canned veggies, you can use frozen green beans, frozen corn, and also frozen diced carrots would be nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment