Wednesday, June 2, 2010
And since its using chicken meat (and you can substitute ground turkey), its lower in fat so you don't need to worry about the fat content as much.
I actually enjoy a bowl of chili with a side salad and a piece of warm, buttery corn bread.
2 lbs ground chicken*
2 medium onions, diced
1 TBSP mashed garlic
1 TBSP mashed ginger
1 TBSP ground cumin powder
1 TBSP ground coriander powder
1 pkt Taco Seasoning powder mix
1 can Garlic and Herb Spaghetti Sauce (+1 can water)
1 tsp chili powder
1 ½ tsp Sri Racha Sauce
1 ½ cups black beans** (washed and drained)
1 ½ cups lentils (washed and drained)
1. Wash and drain the beans and lentils and add to crock pot (if you prefer, you can also soak beans overnight)
2. Fry chicken until cooked through, add onions, garlic and cook until onions are glassy; add taco seasoning, cumin, and coriander, and mix well. Remove from heat.
3. Add chicken mix to the beans and lentils; add spaghetti sauce, stir well, and then add ½ can of water.
4. Add Sri Racha Sauce and chili powder, and add ½ can of water.
5. Cook on high for 5 hours. Stir occasionally.
Serve with rice, corn bread, and/or bread rolls and green salad.
*Substitute for beef or turkey if you desire, TVP or mashed firm bean curd (Tofu)
**Substitute with any kind of beans you prefer – ie: kidney beans, pinto, navy, etc.