• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Pasta

There are just sometimes when the call of heavy, rich creamy sauces calls to me... While it does not happen very often, it does happen. When that happens, I try to add ingredients that can somewhat balance the heaviness out with veggies and leaner meats.

This is one example of one of those nights when I just had a hankering for creamy goodness; I think its somewhat of a "comfort" food thing, but generally my "comfort food" moments come in the flavours of Asia... the tastes of home.

So here is a little recipe I created a while back that I'd like to share with you. You can add all sorts of veggies, not just the ones I've mentioned... asparagus would be lovely in this, as would broccoli florets... pretty much any vegetable you have on hand, or that capture your attention.

I try to make my meals as colourful as possible as the bright and vibrant colours are packed full with wonderful vitamins. And I never over cook my veggies as that will kill any good property they have. Basically, if the bright colours are fading away from the veggies on your plate, you've over done it. Veggies should still be somewhat crisp when eating them.

You can also substitute the chicken for shrimp, or scallops, salmon, tuna, or turkey.

Let me know how it worked out for you.

This is a heavier sauce with a fair amount of butter in it. You can reduce the butter down a little if you like

1 lb thinly sliced chicken breast cut into 1” pieces
8 cloves garlic, sliced
½ onion thinly sliced and cut into thirds
1 zucchini, julienne
1 red pepper, julienne
1 stick butter
1 TBSP vegetable cooking oil
1 cup good quality white wine
1 cup sour cream
1 TBSP chicken powder
1 TBSP dried basil
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper (optional)
1 pkt spaghetti noodles (cooked according to packet directions)


1. Cook noodles, drain and set aside
2. Melt butter in a pan adding oil (to prevent burning)
3. Add garlic cloves. Cook until the scent of garlic wafts (don’t overcook garlic or it will burn and be bitter), then add chicken meat, cook until thoroughly cooked through
4. Add onions and cook until glassy
5. Add chicken powder and stir until dissolved and combined, then add wine, bring to boil
6. Add peppers and cook until wilted, then add zucchini, stir until both peppers and zucchini are cooked through
7. Add dried basil and stir well
8. Add sour cream and stir until all ingredients are well combined and somewhat creamy, but still runny.
9. Cook an additional 5 minutes


Serve noodles in a pasta bowl or plate and add the chicken vegetable sauce over.

Serves 4

* You can also add heavy cream for a more creamier, heavier sauce. Add it at the same time as the sour cream.

3 comments:

  1. This is a lovely recipe. I found your blog by chance and had intended only to say hello and then move on. I started reading your earlier posts and stayed far longer than I planned. I really like your recipes and will be back often to see what else you have been cooking. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leyla, This is Becky Dennis (the Clay Artist on the MS gulf coast) I wanted to say that this is a lovely recipe. I create something similar, but I CLARIFY the butter to remove the milk solids and I make a RUE. After clarifying the butter, I add organic Flour to it to thicken, then, You can actually add purified water or organic Skim milk to it to make a lovely sauce. I add some good quality parmesean to it to thicken it. The Veggies can be added to it and as You said not overcooked. Blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm this looks good. i'm going to try make this when the vegetables are seasonal in australia :)

    ReplyDelete