• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Slow Cooked Pot Roast

On Sunday's I don't usually like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Usually with church and family activities, heading into the kitchen is not only time consuming, but takes my time away from what we as a family are doing. Also, Sunday's are the time when tradition in many families, including my own, is to sit down to a nice Sunday roast dinner.

As Sunday is considered the Sabbath in the Christian faith, it is the day when families gather together and in many families, is the only night when the family can sit down together for a nice meal.

The table is set nicely, and in many older traditions, it was the night when those married would return to the parental homes, dressed nicely and enjoy family togetherness and Mum's cooking.

Today, we have left behind the ties and dresses to the Sunday night dinner table, and all the formalities; but the night of good food and family is still a tradition that lasts.

As many of you who follow my blog will know, I LOVE my crock pot. In my opinion, it is one of the best inventions of modern man. Often, I will put together all the fixings for a pot roast on Saturday night and put it in the fridge, and then on Sunday morning, before heading out to church, I'll get it out of the fridge and put it in the cooker, turn it on and let it slow cook all day long. By the time we get home from church and other activities, the fragrance of dinner hits us and all I'll have to do is serve it up.

I have several ways that I make a pot roast, but this way is my husband's favourite, and just happens to be the way I am cooking it tonight.

Enjoy!


Ingredients:

5lb roasting beef
2 onions
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1lb carrots
1 pkt Poutine Gravy (or Brown Gravy)
1 TBSP good quality red wine
Salt
Pepper
Vegetable oil


Method:

1. Wash and peel carrots, onions, garlic
2. Cut carrots so that they are about 2" long sticks (if thicker carrots, cut in half length-way)
3. Cut onions into 1/8 slices
4. Add vegetables to the crock pot, and add packet of Poutine Gravy (or Brown Gravy if using) and stir to cover all vegetables.
5. Rinse and pat dry beef roast, and lay on a plate. Add salt and pepper to each side and a little vegetable oil and rub it in to the beef, making sure you get into each crevice.

6. Make a space in the crock pot and place the beef (fat side up) in making sure the vegetables are around the sides and the beef is nicely nestled.
7. Add the wine.
8. Cover. Set to "HIGH" and leave to cook for 5 hours, or cook it on "SLOW" for 8-10 hours.

Serve with roasted potatoes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment