• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sweet Herbal Iced Tea

Often, my husband and I will take a drive down to Tucson and visit the Krishna Temple restaurant down there. All the food is vegetarian and extremely delicious. If you ever have a chance to visit a Krishna restaurant, I encourage you to go and enjoy the most delicious food at extremely reasonable prices.

Last Summer, we enjoyed an iced herbal tea which was made without sugar and was most refreshing as well as healthy.

I asked them the recipe for this which they gladly shared with me.

When I was growing up, Mum never allowed us to have soft drinks in the house, and when we were out for dinner a single glass was all we were allowed. She would have us drinking water and more 'healthy' options for drinks. This recipe would have been most welcomed to me as a child, and so if you have children and are trying to cut down their sugar intake, please try this recipe out and let me know how everyone enjoyed it.


Take a couple of bags of herbal tea (any flavour works - we enjoy a hibiscus and strawberry blend, mint, chamomile, etc).

Boil 1 - 1 1/2 cups water and steep the tea bags in this, leave for about 10 minutes.

Pour the tea into a gallon jug and add water to reach 1/2 gallon.

Fill up the rest of the gallon with unsweetened apple juice.

Put it in the fridge and let it chill.

This is a wonderful alternative to the sugar and chemical filled, soft drinks and powdered drinks. It is natural, and the apple juice provides a nice "je ne ces quoi" about the drink that is very pleasant, and it is also naturally sweetened.

Try this with your family, children and let me know how it works out for you.

NB: You can also adjust to have more apple juice if you so desire. I personally enjoy just a hint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment