With the summer upon us, I like to have a variety of choices when it comes to beverages.
Since my husband and I don't drink coffee or tea (which is quite often enjoyed iced during the summer months), I'll often make this most refreshing drink. If you have never tried mead, which was the alcoholic beverage of choice during times of 'ole, here is a very refreshing non-alcoholic version. It is really easy to make and not much fuss.
I add frozen strawberries and always make sure to drink it cold. This is a very refreshing drink and is not only great to drink often, but is really great to serve at Summer BBQ's and get-togethers.
I am going to experiment with various different fruits and will then let you know how these turned out.
When you try it, let me know how you liked it...
4 cups spring water
1 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 lemon, sliced
1 orange, sliced
½ packet of frozen strawberry (or experiment with other fruits)
1. Bring water, honey, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan.
2. Stir until honey is dissolved; heaviness at bottom of pan will disappear.
3. Use a wooden spoon to skim off the film that rises until surface is clear.
4. Add lemon and orange slices, squeezing as they are placed in the water (add frozen strawberries now too - let cook for about 5 - 10 mins and then mash the strawberries to expel the juices).
5. Cool completely; strain. Pour into bottle and store in refrigerator.