• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Nachos Grande

My husband loves Mexican-style food, so last night while we were at the grocery store,  I asked him if he'd like me to make nachos. Now, I don't just throw down a few chips and cover them with cheese, I make NACHOS GRANDE!

I don't make this very often because my "Asian stomach" repels even the thought of ooey gooey cheese, sour cream, and the mix of salsa, spices, refried beans. So I made it knowing that I'd be embracing pharmaceuticals before bed.

While very tasty, this is very rich and heavy, and I recommend that it be shared with at least four people.

Ingredients:

1 bag white tortilla chips (I use triangle ones)
1lb ground beef
1 onion, diced finely (and divided in half)
5 cloves garlic, diced very finely
1 packet Taco Seasoning (any type will do - I use McCormick's Mild)
3/4 cups water
2 TBSP butter (or stick margarine)
1/2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 medium can refried beans
1 can Nacho cheese sauce
2 cups grated American (or Mexican Fiesta mix) cheese
1 tub sour cream
1 jar salsa
1 cup pickled jalapeno peppers

Method:

Set oven to 350*F

1. Fry beef until well cooked, drain fat (DO NOT WASH) and set aside.
2. Fry the half the onion and garlic and fry until the onions turn glassy, then add the beef back and incorporate well.
3. Add the taco seasoning and mix very well, then add the water and mix well together. Lower the heat and let simmer for about 3-5 minutes. Turn heat off and set aside.
4. In a pot, melt butter and add oil (to prevent the butter from burning), add the other half of the onions, and cook until onions are cooked through and glassy.
5. Add refried beans and cook through until beans are runny.
6. In a baking dish, add half the packet of tortilla chips, add the beef mix and spread over evenly over the chips. Add the beans and spread evenly over the beef mix. Add other half of the chips. Top with nacho cheese sauce, spread it evenly so that whole pan of chips are covered. Add the grated cheese, again spread evenly over entire pan.
7. Cook in oven for 10-15 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and pile on to plate(s), top with generous amount of sour cream, generous amount of salsa, and jalapenos. (If you like to add black olives, you can also add this now.)

Serve immediately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment