• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Black Bean Beef and Vegetable Stir-fry

I never really understood "stir-fry" in Chinese cuisine until I moved to Canada. It is such a widely used term for anything that is "stirred" while cooking. To me, "stir-fry" is more akin to chop suey, which is really anything that you have in the fridge that'll taste good when mixed together.

So, as you browse through my recipes, you may find "stir-fry" dishes popping up several different times. They are not the same recipe that has a variant, but rather they are what I had on hand, tasted amazing, and I wanted to share with you.

This kind of cooking is definitely home-style. They are the easiest dishes to cook, and also the fastest.

Tonight, as I browsed through my fridge and wondered what I would make, kai-lan (pronounced gai-laan) leaves which I had washed and set aside from last night's dinner (I only used the stems last night), and napa cabbage found its way into my hands. I had a packet of ground beef and some mushrooms left over from last night. As I put these things together, my recipe was beginning to form in my head. Below is the result and the photo above is how it looked.

Enjoy!


Black Bean Beef and Vegetable Stir-fry

1 lb ground beef
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil

1 tsp vegetable oil

1/2 lb Kai-lan leaves, 1" slices
8 leaves Napa cabbage, 1" slices
2 TBSP water
4 mushrooms, cut into 1/8's

1/2 extra large onion, largely diced
5 cloves garlic, sliced
2 stalks green onion, sliced roughly
1/2" grated ginger (optional)

1 TBSP black bean sauce

--

1. Mix well ground beef together with the next four ingredients, let sit 15-20 minutes
2. Heat a wok until very hot, add vegetable oil until smoking
3. Add beef and fry until cooked through, add the onions, garlic, and ginger (if using). Cook until the onions are semi cooked. Add black bean sauce and mix very well
4. Add the kai-lan and napa cabbage, mix together well (add a little water if needed). Cover and cook for about 3, uncover and stir well - if cabbage and kai-lan is not cooked*, cover and cook for another 2 minutes
*You do not want to over cook the vegetables
5. Add the mushrooms, stir well and serve almost immediately

Serve with steamed rice

0 Comments:

Post a Comment