• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Leyla's Black Plum Jam

The other day, my husband and I were introduced to a Middle Eastern supermarket. We decided to take a drive down and check out what they had.

We cruised down aisle after aisle looking at the wonderful, and in some cases, unusual items and then we hit the meat department and then the produce department.

In the produce department, I found several bags on special for 99cents. After identifying the contents of the bags, I piled in to my shopping cart, over ripe black plums, red chilis, and avacado.

My husband was a little unsure about my purchase and wondered what I'd make with "rotting fruits". I assured him they were not "rotting" but still had incredible goodness left in them. With a doubtful look, he said he was interested to know what I'd make with each item.

I immediately knew what I'd make with the plums and the chilis; and the avacado, well since I am the only one actually likes them, I'm going to put my creative hat on with an idea my Mum gave me earlier today. But that's not what this post is about.

While I have a tree filled with oranges, I had four in the house that needed to be eaten, so I decided to incorporate them into tonights plum jam recipe. It lends a very subtle, "je ne ces quoi" quality to the jam.

The scent of the plums boiling down did make the house smell almost as if I was boiling Chinese medicine and was quite an earthy scent, not unpleasant in the least but not like I imagined plum jam to smell. The taste of the jam is quite different from the scent that wafted through the house, and is sweet and packed full of flavour.

As with most of my jam recipes, this one takes its time to cook down, it is the old way of making jam, and to me, it is the best as the flavours are much richer and deeper than many of quick recipes that I have tried.

On a slice of warm toast, or even on a warm scone, this jam is sure to delight your senses.

Happy Cooking, Happy Eating!


Ingredients:
2LBS very ripe black plums, chopped
4 oranges, skinned and chopped
5 cups sugar
5 cups water

1. Place all ingredients into a large cooking pot and bring to the boil, reduce heat to lowest setting and simmer for 3-4 hours until the liquid coats the back of a spoon.*

* Place a small plate into the fridge. To test if the jam is ready and can be removed from heat, put a tablespoon of jam and liquid on to the plate and let it sit on the counter for a minute or two. The jam is ready when it is no longer runny and running the tip of a spoon through the liquid creates a defined path without it running together.

2. Let jam sit for 15 minutes and then ladle hot jam into jam jars, cleaning any that has run down the side of the jar and around the mouth of the jar. Allow to cool almost completely before placing lid.

Store in the refidgerator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment