• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Friday, January 28, 2011

Middle Eastern-style Baked Yogurt Chicken

As I thought about what to make for dinner, my mind wandered to an idea I had heard about some time ago, yogurt chicken. I was positive I had tried something like this somewhere, possibly even tried making it, but it was obviously something that really did not make too much of an impression on me to stand out in my memory.

I truly had a "hankerin" to try something new and decided that I would have a go at making yogurt chicken. This is something I know that is quite popular in Indian, Middle Eastern, and Mediterranean cooking, but which "theme" would I go with?

We had just finished off a huge pot of lamb biryani I had made the other night, with left overs enough for several meals, and so I was not in the mood for more curry; and I was positive, neither was my husband.

I had a quick search on the internet for basic themes and ingredients, and then created my own version; which, if I may say so myself, truly was delicious and it DEFINITELY is one that stands out in my memory now.

We currently do not have a BBQ, so I baked it in the oven, but it would be amazing after marinating to pop it on the BBQ for cooking. Or alternatively, you can also grill it in the broiler. But baking it in the oven is good also and you have a little bit of sauce for your rice and vegetables.

This has a little bit of a spicy kick to it, because the marinade calls for an entire chili - when you remove the seeds it prevent it from getting too spicy as most of the heat in chillies are found in the seeds.

I hope you enjoy this dish, and please remember to post your comments below.

Happy Cooking, Happy Eating!


Ingredients:
2-3 LBS chicken (I use thighs and legs, but you can use breast meat also)
1 cup good quality Greek yogurt
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 whole red chili, seeds removed
3 cloves garlic
1 inch piece ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Middle Eastern 7 Spices
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/3 cup oil (I used vegetable oil, but you can also use olive oil)

1. Rinse and pat dry chicken, set aside in an oven-safe bowl (if you are baking the chicken)
2. In a food processor, blender, or Magic Bullet, place the yogurt, lemon juice, whole chili, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, 7 spices, salt, and oil, then blend it until it is all smoothe like a smoothie.
3. Pour the yogurt marinade over the chicken, making sure that the marinade completely coats all pieces and all sides of the chicken. Leave to marinate 1 - 2 hrs.
4. Heat oven to 395*F, or heat your grill or BBQ. Place chicken into the oven and cook for 1 hour (or place chicken on the BBQ or grill pan, letting much of the yogurt marinade to drain off but still coating the chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through.

Serve with rice and vegetables.

2 comments:

  1. What is in middle eastern 7 spice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Middle Eastern Seven Spice mix is also called "Sebah Baharat". If you go to a Middle Eastern or Indian or even Asian supermarket, you should be able to find this mix on the shelves where the spices are kept.

    You can also make one version of it yourself at home by mixing:

    4 tsp. sweet paprika
    1⁄2 tsp. hot paprika
    4 tsp. ground cumin
    4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    1⁄2 tsp. turmeric
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    (you can also add a little bit of cardamon which would be an 8th spice, but it does also give a nice flavour to it.)

    Hope this helps. :)

    L.

    ReplyDelete