• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Potato Lamb Pie

Last night I was met with a terrible burden... I was planning to make roast chicken legs for dinner, but the chicken I had bought a couple of days ago had gone off! GREAT!

Now I had a mega dilemma, what to make?

I had ground lamb in the fridge and as I rattled my brains to come up with something fast, I developed an "idea". How it turned out, one would not know.

Oh boy, it was time for prayer again!

I was really tired last night and so did not want to spend hours in the kitchen, and it was cold last night and I thought it was definitely an "oven" night.

"Oven" night is often a one-pot dish cooked in the oven which helps heat the house. Its quick to whip together and is really hearty.

That in mind, I knew exactly what I was going to do.

Popping the ground lamb into a bowl, I whipped up something quickly in the Magic Bullet for flavour, and peeled and washed potatoes and grabbed the peas out of the freezer. Everything set.

The pie took shape and the oven did a great job warming the house as we waited and the aroma was a perfect air freshner for the house. As our bellies began to sing a familiar tune, the beeper on the oven went just in time, dinner was ready.

We dug in and Ben loved it! He told me that this really had to be up on the blog and be shared. So, as an "obedient wife" (I say that rather tongue-in-cheek") here I am writing this blog and sharing the recipe.

Without further adieu, here is the recipe. Enjoy!

Happy Cooking, Happy Eating!


Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs ground lamb (you can substitute ground beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey also for a different flavour)
6 potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
1 TBSP lemon juice
6 cloves garlic
1 onion, quartered
2 TBSP oil (olive oil will add a great flavour, alternatively use vegetable oil)
1/4 tsp Middle Eastern 7-Spices
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup frozen peas
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
2 tsp garlic powder

1. Heat oven to 395*F
2. Line the bottom of a deep pie dish (or pan) with 3 of the sliced potatoes
3. In a bowl, place the ground lamb.
4. In the Magic Bullet (or blender) grind together the lemon juice, garlic, onion, oil, 7-Spices, salt, black pepper, and cumin until it looks like a smoothie. Add to the lamb and mix together very well. Add the lamb to the layer of potatoes and press down and smoothe out.
5. Add the peas on top of the lamb and spread out over the lamb.
6. Spread the rest of the potatoes to the top of the peas making sure that everything is covered.
7. Sprinkle the salt and garlic powder over the top of the potatoes.
8. Cover the pan with aluminium foil (or a lid) and pop into the oven. Cook at 395*F for 45mins to 1 hr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment