• Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    Leyla Hur, as featured in Munaty Cooking

    "In Hong Kong, everything revolves around food, and it was not different in my family. In my family, each meal was truly an event and that is something I still hold close. Right after we finished one meal, Dad would discuss with us what we would have for our next meal..."

  • About Leyla

    About Leyla

    "Even from my earliest years, I liked to feed people and share my food with others. I have been privileged enough to grow up in Hong Kong, live in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and now the United States; and I have travelled extensively throughout the world, sampling the delicacies of..."

  • Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    Asian Beef Lettuce Cups (with Vegetarian Alternative)

    "In Hong Kong, this is very famous and usually comes when you order Peking Duck. The restaurant will then make three dishes from the duck. You will usually get the skin (Peking Duck) which is served with..."

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Homemade Hot Wings

My husband loves hot wings, we both enjoy Hooter's hot wings which I must say, when it comes to wings, they are one of the best around. Although I often will seem to get ill after our visits and I think it is because the sauce is too heavy and buttery (which is used to cut the heat in the hot sauce).

We used to eat at Long Wong's, but I feel that the wings are too dry and overtly seasoned with a sauce rich in vinegar.

While I enjoy wings, I often have trouble with the vinegar content. When a plate comes to the table, and your eyes are watering from all the vinegar, its hard to get past the acidity to actually want to eat and enjoy the wings.

So, with that being an issue for me, I decided to try to develop my own hot wings not only to combat that issue, but also to be able to enjoy them whenever we had a hankering and not have to sit in a loud restaurant with uncomfortable seats, but rather sit in the comfort of home and a good movie.

After much experimentation, I have come up with my best batch of wings and decided to share the recipe and method with you.

Enjoy!


Homemade Hot Wings Recipe

Chicken:
3 lbs chicken wings and drummets
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp chicken powder
1 #10 can of vegetable lard
1 cup vegetable oil

Hot Sauce:
1/4 cup Sri Racha Chili Sauce
1 3/4 cup Ketchup
4 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 stick of butter (or margarine)

1. Rinse the chicken wings and place them in to a separate bowl (drain off any excess liquid)

2. Add salt, pepper, chicken powder and mix very well so that all chicken pieces are coated

3. Heat the lard and vegetable oil to very hot (when chicken placed in, it automatically fries hard)

4. Slowly add the chicken - don't add all the chicken at once because too much will 'boil' the chicken rather than fry it, best to cook them in batches


5. Cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through

6. Remove the chicken and let it "sit" for about 5-10 minutes


7. While the chicken is "sitting", prepare the hot sauce


8. Melt a stick of butter in a pot


9. Mix the chili sauce, the ketchup, and the vinegar in a bowl and then add it to the butter (or margarine if using). Mix the butter and chili sauce together very well over low-medium heat until very well combined. It will be pretty runny.


10. Put the chicken wings into a large bowl


11. Ladle some sauce over the wings, just enough to coat the wings and mix well to coat the wings but not saturate them


12. Serve with carrot and celery sticks, blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! Leyla, I'm already salivating. The other recipes on the archive list also look exciting. Thanks so much for shring your culinary genius... XXX ... Anne Child, Wales - aka Hanneica

    ReplyDelete